You and your pet should have an interest in people and enjoy visiting. Your pet should be healthy, have at least a basic level of training and be reliable, even in crowded or unexpected situations. Some essentials:
- Animal likes being petted, touched and hugged
- Animal demonstrates reliable, controllable, predictable behavior
- Animal actively solicits interactions with people
- Animal is able to remain calm in disruptive settings
- Animal is outgoing, friendly and confident in new settings
If your animal is unpredictable, doesn’t like being around people, or is aggressive to people or other animals it would not be suitable for therapy work.